Thursday, December 4, 2014

Back-of-the-Cape, 1862

A one-per-decade series of glimpses, 1860-1960
 
Rockport Train Station, 1861
Sandy Bay Historical Society photo
"One way to Gloucester, please. Is the next train departing at 6:30?" 
 
"That's right. Last trip of the day. We're short on coins because of the War. I'll have to give you change in postage stamps or shin-plaster, if you don't mine. They're redeemable at several of our local businesses." 
 
"Thanks, I'll take it in stamps. You're Addison Gott, I believe." 
 
"At your service. Founding stationmaster, conductor and baggage handler for the Rockport Railroad." 
 
" Joshua Gott gave me a ride in from Halibut Point. He had to get a few things in Town. Your cousin, he tells me." 
 
"Yes. He's keeping the Old Homestead going. It's been in the family since 1702. Not too many of the old farms left out past Pigeon Cove. He and the Babsons seem to be doing alright out there. Let me help you with that case."  
 
"I'll appreciate that. There's a camera and glass plates in there. I've been out all day photographing. Took the morning stagecoach out from Gloucester to Lanesville, then meandered on foot through The Willows to  Folly Cove. John Heywood's my name."
 
Lanesville Willows
Washington Street at Langsford Street
John Heywood stereograph
"Photographer! I'd like to hear more about that. I have to lock up the office and ride the train to Gloucester and back. I'll see you on board."

.... 
 
"There you are, Mr. Heywood. I hope you're finding the seat comfortable. We'll be in Gloucester in just a few minutes." 
 
"Please join me."  
 
"Thank you. Judging by your accent, you don't come from Massachusetts." 
 
"Originally from North Carolina. I was making daguerreotypes in California a few years back and eventually wound up with a studio in Boston. Then came the Civil War. It's been awkward." 
 
"I can imagine." 
 
"You know, you folks up here sent plenty of salt cod down for the plantation slaves, and you bought plenty of cotton. Personally I wish the Union had stayed together, but the hotheads had their way." 
 
"Perhaps we'll have a chance to talk about that. What were you photographing today?"
 
Schooner
John Heywood stereograph
"Well, you know the coastline from Folly Cove to Pigeon Cove is quite picturesque. As are the fishermen. I met a dory man named Henry Saunders.  A colorful fellow. He's set up a flake yard to cure fish right on the shore near where Mr. Torrey used to cut granite out of the ledges. Now it seems the active quarries work in Rockport are centered between Pigeon Cove and Town. That will be another field trip."  
 
"What are you going to do with the pictures?" 
 
"Hervey Friend and I have a studio in Gloucester producing stereographs. They're more versatile than daguerreotypes. We think the market is just beginning."
 
"Yes, my wife has a stereopticon for viewing them. I've been curious how they work." 
 
"We take two separate images, slightly offset by the width between your eyes. Then we print and mount them side-by-side. When you look at them through the stereopticon viewer, it gives a three-dimensional effect. Here's a sample from my last trip to Folly Cove. Take it home to your viewer, with my compliments."
 
"Baiting Trawls”
John Heywood stereograph
"Thank you. I'm very much obliged. My wife will be delighted. Let's see, 'Baiting Trawls,' you call it. A Folly Cove scene, isn't it?" 

"Exactly." 
 
"Here's the Gloucester Station. I'm back on duty. Very pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Heywood." 
 
"Delighted, Mr. Gott."
__________________________________________________
 Sources:
-John Heywood stereographs courtesy of The Cape Ann Museum.
-Cape Ann Advertiser, Jun 7, 1861; Jan 3 and 10, 1868; Nov 4, 1879.
-"The Gott Family, from 1628," manuscript from Wellington Pool for Addison Gott, 1872.
-Hammers on Stone, Barbara Erkkila, 1980.
-Pioneer Photographers of the Far West: A Biographical Dictionary, 1840-1865, Peter E. Palmquist  and Thomas R. Kailbourn
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. How clever and smart this posting is. Thank you for taking the time to do the research and share the photos. This is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete