All photos from the collection of Paul Harling, unless otherwise noted1
Once upon a time, in my grandfather's early years, two firms rivaled for stagecoach passengers from Annisquam to Gloucester proper. When the line founded in the 1830s by Messrs. Ezekiel and Chard ceased operation in 1889 Charles Harvey of Lanesville 'reined' supreme on the north roads of the City.2
Trolley tracks on
Washington Street, Bay View, looking northeast.|
Granite industry facilities and the Methodist Church merge with houses in the background.
The granite railroad from quarries in uplands to the right crosses to Hodgkins Cove at center.
|Electric railway trestle, Plum Cove, looking southwest|
At the beginning of 1894 Mr. Eli Morgan, 89, and Capt. Joseph Saunders, 75, took their first ride on an electric car. The Lanesville correspondent of the Gloucester Daily Times reported that "they enjoyed their ride, thinking it a great improvement on the former accommodations. They said they had not visited Gloucester before for the past six years."
Lanesville terminus at|
Washington and Andrews Streets
The railway continues on to Mason Square near Folly Cove
|Crossing the dunes at Good Harbor toward Long Beach|
|Excursionists at Long Beach|
Goose Cove causeway and mill in background
Trolley tracks on the
way to Halibut Point,|
at the intersection of Langsford and Washington Streets near Mason Square
|The Folly Cove turnout, where cars could bypass each other|
"Cape Ann is now encircled by an electric car line....If this prediction had been made to the early residents of the Cape, the idea would have undoubtedly been taken for a good joke, but if they could have looked from their old time homes this morning, they would have seen the scheme realized....The continuous route around the cape will make one of the most beautiful trolley rides imaginable, and not only will it be exceedingly popular with pleasure seekers, but will be of great convenience to travel." Gloucester Daily Times, August 11, 1902.
|Clearing the tracks in Lanesville|
|Digging out a buried trolley snow plow|
|Carl Peterson's certificate of Railway Union membership, 19183|
1. Retired Gloucester schoolteacher Paul Harling collected these images of Cape Ann trolleys. Paul grew up in Arlington at the end of the streetcar line. He and his brother got the streetcar bug early, and enjoyed the parental freedom to explore the whole Boston metropolitan system, sometimes with a wink from their pals the conductors. A good day consisted of roaming the entire route paying only one fare. When Paul married Ruth Harvey, granddaughter of the Lanesville stagecoach operator, his interest and resources in Cape Ann history deepened.
Paul Harling holding
court in the Diving Locker|
at the Maritime Heritage Center, Gloucester
3. Fred Peterson of Rockport provided stories and materials relating to his father Carl.