People on the Land at Halibut Point, Part 2
Alfred J. Wiggin, Pigeon Cove Harbor, painted in 1846|
Sandy Bay Historical Society
|Eben Phillips (1808-1875)1|
Promotional map of
Rockport Town Hall archives
The intersection of
Babson and Ocean Avenues, c. 1870s|
Phillips stereograph, Cape Ann Museum
|Meadowcliff, on Phillips Avenue4|
|The Meadowcliff landscape4|
Meadowcliff on the
corner of Phillips Avenue, adjacent to Halibut Point|
From the G. M. Hopkins Atlas, 1884
George H. Walker lithograph,
Norman B. Leventhal Map Center, Boston Public Library
Peninsulas jutting right, bottom to top, into the Ipswich Bay:
Andrews Point, Halibut Point, Folly Point
The Phillips Estate sent a team of cartographers aloft in a hot air balloon to portray the extent of their realm, published in the Walker lithograph. But the founders of Ocean View did not live to pursue further development. Eben had died in 1875 and his widow Maria in 1882. In 1885 the twenty-acre Babson Farm parcel was sold to Thomas Gaffield. Except alongside Phillips Avenue much of the Andrews Hollow acreage remained pristine for a century.
The checkered stripe discernible in Walker's aerial view, crossing the crest of Halibut Point, outlines Thomas Gaffield's early endeavors to pick up the baton of development from the Phillips.
1. D. Hamilton Hurd, History Of Essex County Massachusetts, With Biographical Sketches of Many of its Pioneers And Prominent Men, 1888.
2. Marshall Swan, Town on Sandy Bay, 1980.
3. Cape Ann Advertiser, May 7, 1869
4. Rockport As It Was, Town of Rockport Picture History Committee, 1975. Photos from the Sandy Bay Historical Society.
5. Gloucester Daily Times, May 9, 1893.