Thursday, November 2, 2017

Rocks and Sea

‟After the extravagant gesture of creation in the first place, the universe has continued to deal exclusively in extravagances... .The whole show has been on fire from the word go. I come down to the water to cool my eyes.”
― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

 

Throughout the night the sea laps at the rocks. Then the dawn fire eases over the horizon with theatrical lighting.


A particular morning lingers in gold.


Another lavishes colors from the palette of water and stone.


Rocks force the water into crests, dissipating energies the sun has invested in the sea and air.


Water atomizes over the rocks in colors blended from the sun and sky.


An opposition of natures resolves into processes of destruction and opportunity at the intersection of rocks and sea.


Eider ducks forage in the turbulent zone.


Their life force cycles a bit of the drama back up into the air, resplendent in creation.


The extravagance proceeds to an infinite standard of beauty.

 

1 comment:

  1. Marty, these might be my two favorite posts of photos ever. Stunning shots of rocks. I think for Christmas I'm going to request that you print me a couple of these shots for my Midwestern home and office. Something about these stones comes closer to representing home to me than anything else could. I would look at them and meditate and remember smells and sounds. Cold and crisp - stars at night and seagulls at day. I've got to come for a visit. How about the first week of January?

    ReplyDelete