Thursday, June 4, 2020

The Education of a Photographer

Looking across the Babson Farm Quarry
Halibut Point State Park

Arriving at the rim of the Babson Farm Quarry always puts me in tension between staying fresh to its 'ordinary' sights and a never-ending quest for novelties. As a frequent photographer I can find myself blasé about the spectacular postcard views, the fabulous plumage of mallards, the glide of a gull to the water. I remind myself to look as though I've never seen these wonders before, and search simultaneously for visual adventure. Happiness means coming home with an extraordinary picture, which involves curiosity, alertness, and mastery of complicated equipment.

Snoozing mallards and gull in the quarry

Mallards and gulls often congregate in a shallow place at the far end of the Quarry where they're occasionally joined by a cormorant or a resident Green Heron. On arrival it's worth checking that spot as a 'wildlife warm-up' or photographic calisthenics.

Snoozing mallards and a questionable shape

From the far rim I have a wide-open view of this little sanctuary from 200 yards away. Conversely, birds have a good view of anyone approaching. Today through my binoculars there seems something odd about a probable gull just visible on the rock ledge. I follow my hard-earned discipline of "Shoot now, ask questions later" and set the camera on its tripod to take a picture before anything changes.


Photo detail, enlarged

I observe through the 500mm lens that the vague lump of white feathers has a peculiar outline for a gull. Its black feature is in the wrong place, apparently on top of the head rather than on its back. I begin strategizing about getting closer along the quarry's perimeter path. Luckily I'm still on station behind the camera when the bird flies.

Not quite a gull
It takes to the air with heavier wingbeats than a gull. It's shorter fore and aft, and not lifting easily on the wind.

Sometimes you get lucky
Luckily it flies in my direction. I try to keep it in the viewfinder's crosshairs, with my fingers crossed that Autofocus will distinguish it from the various backgrounds the bird crosses. As my Daddy used to say, "Luck is preparation meeting an opportunity."

Black-crowned Night Heron
It's a good day when education brings something beautiful closer where you can share with your friends.







2 comments:

  1. Dad,

    How cool to get a play by play from a photographer who has been both published and appreciated by a wide and diverse audience for decades. You have been both lucky and committed to your craft (and committed to always learning more), which is why we all have had some real treasures over the years. Not the least of which is this recent experience that you have had with one my favorite birds, the night heron, with its stark colors and red eyes.

    Thanks again, from all of us,

    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile the second photographer is with the men and taking candid shots of them tying their ties and just hanging out being men before the ceremony. wedding photographer london

    ReplyDelete